Premier Physical Therapy and Sports Performance, LLC
Sports Residency Program
Premier Physical Therapy’s Sports Residency became one of a limited number of officially fully accredited Sports Residency programs recognized by the ABPTRFE in 2014 with reaccreditation in 2019.
The curriculum for the Premier Physical Therapy Sports Residency Program is based upon the competencies defined in APTA’s Sports Description of Residency Practice. Mentorship is provided by physical therapists, athletic trainers, surgeons and physicians who are all active providers in the local sports community. The program runs for 12 months in duration allowing a resident to participate in a full academic year of sporting activities to provide the resident experience in a variety of sports.
Breakdown of Hours:
- A minimum of 1500 hours of clinical practice in a variety of settings that allow for at least 40% sports physical therapy caseload.
- Approximately 400 hours of sports physical therapy coverage (Athletic training room and event coverage).
- A minimum of 150 mentored hours, one-on-one with specialists (SCS/OCS) with patients/clients that meet the sports requirement.
- A minimum of 75 hours of clinical instructor interaction in non-patient care planned educational experiences.
Other things to consider:
- Mentoring for Case Study submission for presentation/publication
- Preparation for Sports Clinical Specialist exam
- Didactic work to include – APTA SCS Preparatory Course; Musculoskeletal Imaging course work
- Affiliation with multiple local high schools and DE Turf Sports Complex, which would allow a sports resident the unique opportunity to work closely with athletic trainers and to gain firsthand experience in athletics.
- Journal Clubs
- Community Event coverage (Mud Run, Beast of the East National Wrestling Tournament, Blue Gold All Star Football, Local 5K events and other youth sports events)
Jennifer Atwood, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS
Residency Program Director/Coordinator
210 Cleaver Farm Road, Suite 1
Middletown, DE 19709
Applications are now being accepted on a rolling basis. Application due by February 1st for a summer start and August 1st for a winter start.
Sports Application Link: https://rfptcas.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login